Wednesday, April 15, 2009

"Potato" Pancakes

I REALLY don't like to make potato pancakes. I always end up getting a grease stain somewhere and the house smells for days. But....I do make the sacrifice every so often because there is nothing better than being able to open my freezer and give about 5 good vegetable choices to my child each day and all I have to do is reheat! (I freeze EVERYTHING by the way! If you ever saw my freezer you would think it was attacked by zip lock bags!) So...this is not much of a recipe but more of a "throw anything in and see what happens" recipe. Here is what I do:

a few small potatoes (or less depending on what else you add), grated
2 or so carrots, grated
1 zucchini, grated
about 1/2 block of cheese, any kind, grated
2 eggs
1/2 cup(ish) bread crumbs
1 chicken breast or a few tenders cooked and pureed in Cuisinart until pretty finely chopped

Mix everything together and fry small, flat clumps in oil. For those of you who have never made potato pancakes, you will be tempted to keep checking them and flipping them but DON'T. Try to only flip them once allowing each side to brown. Lay finished pancakes on paper towels to drain grease. Then move them onto cookie sheet, place in freezer until slightly frozen then transfer to zip lock. These sound totally random and gross, I know, but they really aren't bad! Dylan loves them! However, he did see that I was sneaking carrots into it so we will see if he requests them again any time soon.....

Shared by Kimberly Levitan, Leawood, KS
Recipe Source: yours truly

No comments:

Post a Comment